OMEGA is the Oxfordshire Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Group for Action. We are a self-help group for people with ME or Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, and their carers.
Members can benefit from contact with other people who recognise and understand the illness. Members give each other friendship and support, exchange information about treatments, and learn from each other about the management of this long-term illness.
OMEGA Meetings in April 2017
The local social groups are such a great way to meet and talk and to welcome new members. They are smaller and easier for many of us to manage than the big meetings with a speaker..
Of course we very aware that a lot of our members are not well enough to attend and hope this invitation is not too upsetting. We also welcome carers and family members
WAGS Thursday 30th March 12noon onwards, lunch meeting at The Lord Nelson, Wantage OX12 8HL
The 4 meeting dates in April are:-
OMEGA Oxford Area Social gathering Monday 3rd April 1.15 pm onwards, Four Pillars Hotel, Henley Road Sandford-On-Thames, Oxford, OX4 4GX
Banbury Support Group Tuesday 4th April between 12 noon and 1.00pm, later if energy permits, The Mill, Banbury OX16 5QE
South Oxfordshire ME/CFS Support/lunch Group Monday April 10th , ,12.30pm to 2pm, Shillingford Bridge Hotel, OX10 8LZ
WAGS Friday 21st April 1-3pm, Cornerstone Cafe, Grove, Cornerstone Cafe, Grove OX12 0PT
For more details click on Full events listing
Membership Survey 2013
Omega survey on local NHS services for ME/CFS
The full results are now available!
2012 GP Survey
See also our previous 2012 research into GP views of CFS/ME in Oxfordshire.
Life with ME/CFS
This collection of original and powerful poetry from Oxfordshire ME Group for Action (OMEGA) lets you see the view 'from the bed'.
Stay up to date with OMEGA
BBC Local News item about the GP survey and childrens' ME services
BBC Oxford feature on the GP survey and childrens' ME services
Patricia Wells of OMEGA speaks to James Cannon. Listen here (mp3 format, 3MB)
Oxford Mail article on the campaign for children's ME services in Oxfordshire - 4th Feb 2013
Another new research paper co-authored by OMEGA member Norman Booth - 20th Nov 2012
Norman gave a talk on this paper at the 3rd World Congress on Targeting Mitochondria in Berlin on November 9th 2012.
Interview on BBC Radio Oxford - 30th Oct 2012
Jayne Diston and Jan Seed speak to Malcom Boyden about OMEGA, ME and Poetry from the Bed. Listen here (mp3 format, 9MB)
We were also featured in a BBC News website article!
New research paper co-authored by OMEGA member Norman Booth
Interview on BBC Radio Oxford - 14th May 2012
Jayne Diston, Dr Charles Shepherd and Pat Williams speak to Jo Thoenes about ME, OMEGA's 'Poetry from the Bed' competition, prize giving and the winning poem 'Anstice', ME Awareness Month exhibition and 45,000 installation, and OMEGA. Listen Here
Radio 4 programme about ESA 20th December 2011
ME article Oxford Times May 5th 2011, p.46:
Latest research shows evidence of persistent infection of children with ME:
OMEGA offers help and support by providing:
- Meetings, social events and workshops - Including talks by both conventional and complementary practitioners, latest research and benefits information - see Forthcoming Events
- Quarterly newsletters – Full of supportive advice and information, including some jokes and pictures.
- Monthly meditation group – For further details please contact email@example.com
- Information and training for Health Professionals
- Access to other Oxfordshire groups - See below:
- Telephone contact list – For details contact OMEGA – Details below.
- A library
OMEGA is also active in research and campaigning for improved services:
- Research into patients’ and general practitioners’ experience of Health & Social care for people with ME/CFS
- Research into biomedical markers for the illness by an OMEGA member - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2680051/
- Successful campaigning for the Oxfordshire Community CFS/ME Team (OCCMET) - the community ME/CFS treatment centre in Oxfordshire
- Representation on the advisory group for ME/CFS services in Oxfordshire. Our current campaign is to improve services for children and young people in Oxfordshire. If you are a parent, young person, or professional working with young people, we would love to hear from you.