OMEGA is the Oxfordshire Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Group for Action. We are a self-help group for people with ME or Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, and their carers.
M.E. Awareness Week is 7th May - 14th May
National M.E. Awareness Day 12th May
ME Awareness Day is on the birthday of Florence Nightingale, and it has become traditional to mark the week as ME Awareness Week – for patients and in the media.
OXFORDSHIRE M.E. Awareness events are happening on Monday 14thMay
see Events for more info
Members can benefit from contact with other people who recognise and understand the illness. Members give each other friendship and support, exchange information about treatments, and learn from each other about the management of this long-term illness.
OMEGA Support/Social Groups
Of course we are aware that a lot of our members are not well enough to attend these groups and we shall be thinking of them at these events.
Socials and OMEGA Regular Events
OMEGA Oxford Area Social gathering
Monday 14th May OXFORDSHIRE M.E. Awareness day. See Events for more info
Monday 4th June
Monday 2nd July
from 1.15 pm onwards at De Vere Hotel (formerly Oxford Thames Four Pillars), Henley Road, Sandford-on-Thames, Oxford, OX4 4GX
This is an opportunity for OMEGA members and carers to socialise with other ME sufferers. The 3A city bus runs every half hour from Oxford to the hotel.
OMEGA Oxford Area Social gathering takes place on the first Monday of every month (unless it falls on a bank holiday and it will then be the following Monday)
South Oxfordshire ME/CFS Support Group
We will be meeting on the following dates at
the Shillingford Bridge Hotel, OX10 8LZ at the usual time of 12 midday – 2.00pm.
Monday 21st May - Oxfordshire M.E. Awareness Day, See events for more details
Monday 11th June
Monday 9th July
The Thames Travel 139 bus no longer stops near to the hotel, but the X39/X40 Oxford to Reading bus stops on the main road in Shillingford near the turning to the hotel (five minutes’ walk). There is also car parking on site.
WAGS Meeting Dates
Monday 14th May 10.30-12pm, Cornerstone Cafe, Grove
Wednesday 13th June 12noon onwards, lunch meeting at The Lord Nelson
Thursday 5th July 1-3pm, Cornerstone Cafe, Grove
Cornerstone Café, 10 Savile Way, Grove, OX12 0TP
The Lord Nelson Pub, Charlton Road, Wantage, OX12 8HL
Banbury Support Group
We are a small, friendly and informal group who meet regularly on the first Tuesday of each month. Please feel free to pop in anytime, whether it is for a quick chat or longer if you wish. Family and carers are very welcome. Meetings are on the first Tuesday of the month, between 12 noon and 1 pm.
Tuesday 1st May
Tuesday 5th June
Tuesday 3rd July
Location: The Mill Arts Centre, Banbury, OX16 5QE.
Driving: There is ample metered and some free disabled parking just outside.
On foot: It is just across the Canal from Castle Quay Shopping Centre.
Please feel free to pop in anytime, whether it is for a quick chat or longer if you wish. Family and carers are very welcome.
For more details click on Full events listing
Membership Survey 2013
Omega survey on local NHS services for ME/CFS
The full results are now available!
2012 GP Survey
See also our previous 2012 research into GP views of CFS/ME in Oxfordshire.
Life with ME/CFS
This collection of original and powerful poetry from Oxfordshire ME Group for Action (OMEGA) lets you see the view 'from the bed'.
Stay up to date with OMEGA
BBC Local News item about the GP survey and childrens' ME services
BBC Oxford feature on the GP survey and childrens' ME services
Patricia Wells of OMEGA speaks to James Cannon. Listen here (mp3 format, 3MB)
Oxford Mail article on the campaign for children's ME services in Oxfordshire - 4th Feb 2013
Another new research paper co-authored by OMEGA member Norman Booth - 20th Nov 2012
Norman gave a talk on this paper at the 3rd World Congress on Targeting Mitochondria in Berlin on November 9th 2012.
Interview on BBC Radio Oxford - 30th Oct 2012
Jayne Diston and Jan Seed speak to Malcom Boyden about OMEGA, ME and Poetry from the Bed. Listen here (mp3 format, 9MB)
We were also featured in a BBC News website article!
New research paper co-authored by OMEGA member Norman Booth
Interview on BBC Radio Oxford - 14th May 2012
Jayne Diston, Dr Charles Shepherd and Pat Williams speak to Jo Thoenes about ME, OMEGA's 'Poetry from the Bed' competition, prize giving and the winning poem 'Anstice', ME Awareness Month exhibition and 45,000 installation, and OMEGA. Listen Here
Radio 4 programme about ESA 20th December 2011
ME article Oxford Times May 5th 2011, p.46:
Latest research shows evidence of persistent infection of children with ME:
OMEGA offers help and support by providing:
- Meetings, social events and workshops - Including talks by both conventional and complementary practitioners, latest research and benefits information - see Forthcoming Events
- Quarterly newsletters – Full of supportive advice and information, including some jokes and pictures.
- Monthly meditation group – For further details please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Information and training for Health Professionals
- Access to other Oxfordshire groups - See below:
- Telephone contact list – For details contact OMEGA – Details below.
- A library
OMEGA is also active in research and campaigning for improved services:
- Research into patients’ and general practitioners’ experience of Health & Social care for people with ME/CFS
- Research into biomedical markers for the illness by an OMEGA member - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2680051/
- Successful campaigning for the Oxfordshire Community CFS/ME Team now known as Oxfordshire CFS/ME Service (Previously known as OCCMET) - http://www.oxfordhealth.nhs.uk/service_description/oxfordshire-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-me-service
- Representation on the advisory group for ME/CFS services in Oxfordshire. Our current campaign is to improve services for children and young people in Oxfordshire. If you are a parent, young person, or professional working with young people, we would love to hear from you.